Dating: 16th century
The St. Nicholas Orthodox Church, built in 1528, is a massive baroque building, made of rough limestone and set in lime mortar, with a two-story wooden tower. The church vault has a semicircle shape. The altar and nave windows are framed by massive arches, keeping some gothic architectural elements. A massive wall separates the altar from the nave.
It is believed that in front of the altar, under the solea, there is a tomb belonging to one of the Basarabs (who used to own this land). Until 1931, the church tower was made of wood and covered with shingle, but after a big storm destroyed it, it was rebuilt using galvanized steel sheets and given an octagonal shape. Thus, the window arches lost their gothic features and obtained a more byzantine aspect.
Address: 157 Calea Romanilor Street, Geoagiu